Wednesday, January 26, 2005
I overheard my first bit of anti-semitism for a long while today. Now I have some aquaintances who know about my roots, but most in the school aren't aware of it, as I'm not religious or even keep Shabbas, and among those who do know, the taunting is limited to a few rounds of the Borat song "Throw the jew down the well". However, what I overheard someone say shocked me. Here it is: "I hate the Jews, and the Catholics, they're my two least favourate races, them and the blacks". I was simply not expecting it. My school seems rather progressive, and to hear this ruined my morning. I didn't say anything to the person (who is a bit of a twat in my opinion) but I didn't mention it to any teachers either. Should I? I may do tomorrow, what with it being Shoah memorial day. The Queen is going to be at a televised thing, so I'll watch that.
Phrase for the day: All wars are civil wars, for all men are brothers